Monday, February 16, 2009

At the Well...

At the Well Blog Button



Discussion Questions:
What is your definition of friendship?
Did you follow the belief that we should not be friends with our children?
Has that changed?
In what ways can we befriend our husbands and children?
What can we do to teach those skills to someone else?

Friendship is loving, spending time, being there when the chips are down, being able to tell someone the intimate details of your life and know that they won't share it with another soul.

This is a great topic. I guess this is one of the areas where I struggle (outside of my family). You see, my family are my friends. I haven't ever really felt the need for many outside friendships... that is, until about a year and a half ago.

I think there is a big difference in being "best friends" with your children and being their friend and parent. In the parent role, you are sometimes called on to be in the role of disciplinarian. That wouldn't fall into my definition of "friend". I believe that the role of "best friend" comes into play as your children grow older and leave the nest. This is the time when your role as parent changes and you can really start to see them as another adult friend. You are more of an advisor than a rule maker, at that point.

My husband is my very best friend in the whole world. I would do anything for him. I am there for him... always. Likewise, he is there for me... always. We want the best for each other. We seek out each others company.

I think the best way to teach friendship, is to be a friend.

I am not an expert in this area... at least outside of my home. I struggle to make friendships outside of my family. Since losing my mom over a year ago, I have really noticed my need for female friendships. I have made it my daily prayer that God would bring someone into my life that would be that kind of mentor and christian friend that I am so longing for.

God is my ever faithful friend. He is my help and my peace. I couldn't make it a day without Him.

4 comments:

  1. Great insight! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you join us over AT THE WELL today. I loved what you said about the comparision of parenting as a disciplinary and then later in life parenting and being more of a friend. That is the stage I am at right now as 3 of my 4 children have left the nest and I can honestly say they are my closest friends, but there are still boundaries that we need to put in place. Thanks for sharing today. -blessings, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. It's my first time over here and you have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have struggled with relationships outside of family. My family is simply so close that I feel complete with them. I'll will be praying with you that we develop more and deeper relationships with others as well as maintain those at home.

    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you,"
declares the Lord,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future..."

clustermaps

Labels