Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Amazing Adventure...

The back is about the same as it was yesterday. sigh. I guess I should be rejoicing, though. It could be what it was two days ago, right?

Anyway...

I was thinking today about how people in my age bracket... turning 40 at the end of the year... fall into some interesting categories.

When it comes to their children, they either started having a family around the same time we did...19 years ago. These people have a couple of kids who are both at the end of the "childhood" years. This couple is starting to run around a bit and take trips alone or in general, start their "after children" lives.

Another group waited a few years and they are in the dreaded middle school years. Once again, they have a couple of children and they are in the midst of pulling their hair out with the drama that goes along with that particular age group. These couples are looking forward to 4 or 5 years down the road, when they will be in the previously mentioned group... awaiting the exit of their children.

Lastly, there is the group that waited until their careers were in full swing and they might have had a little nest egg set aside before they started having children. This group is in the early childhood arena. They have small children. These parents are still kidding themselves into thinking they have this "parenting" thing figured out and it is going to be easy.

and then...

there is me.

I fit all three groups. (except the figuring this parenting thing out stuff)

I have children in all of the groups. Each one amazes me, changes me, makes me better than I would have been.

I don't want anyone to think I am criticizing any other parent for making different choices. I fully believe that not all of us are destined to take the same path... thank goodness. I mean, some of your lives scare the living daylights out of me.

I am just so thankful that God, in all of His infinite wisdom, put me right where I never could have seen myself... here, being a mom to this amazing group of people. Each day with them is a blessing.

And above all, I am so thankful that beside me walks the best husband and father I could have asked for... even if I could have thought ahead and forseen this amazing adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my I can relate to having kids in every stage of life!!!
    They Laugh at church because I have a kid in every one of their programs...Nursery, preschool, elementary, middle school, high school, college, and young married....lol Hey I've hit the big 40...its not so bad :)
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I will be back to read more about you guys its great to find other people with large families!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are at the elementary, HS, college and Army/college level. Just a few years ago I did have graduated, HS, middle school and elementary school...we have ony 5 so...one of the FEW blogs where I can say ONLY and someone understands. We'd have liked to have more, especially since we lost our middle child, but we include him in the 'count'. :D

    Bless you...and yeah, it's odd being pregnant when you turn 40...and all your friends at your age have kids out of the house or in HS!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you,"
declares the Lord,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future..."

clustermaps

Labels